Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Reboot

The reality of the Ribofunk world is taking a while to sink in...

The speech shared on plurk about Homo evolutis makes A LOT of sense. It is the scary possibility that I don't want to see, but I cannot stop. It is my brothers World of Warcraft against my dream of being a farmer. If we can program cells, we take control over creation. This is really happening!?!

So the Filth plays into this in a peculiar way, we have agreed that it is relatively tame; in all it's perverse stories the likes of which would have my grandmother turning in her grave, I am unphased. I even made the comment that it is predictable. It is predictable, because it is within the realm of contemporary fantasy. It is well within the realm of narrative fantasy 50 years ago. HOLY SHIT! It doesn't matter that I love to ride my bike, and climb rocks, and garden. It doesn't matter that scientists are not allowed to harvest stem cells, technology is greater than these values and Darwin said it 200 years ago. Evolution is the natural order, and we are accelerating towards god-like.

What can I say? I am not ready for this, yet it already seems obvious. We are ready for this, and it is already happening. This is the other distilled from our greatest minds, so far greater than us, yet limited to our realization. Will war accelerate faster than benevolence? Will greed overcome community? These are timeless dilemmas that are almost as scary as the possibility that we will go beyond such turmoil. Scary because then we are truly beyond what I might predict... radical

No comments:

Post a Comment