Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Mind That Exploded

The discussions and plurking has been exceptional this week. The night after our class Thursday was especially effective at drawing out discussion online, as people debated the value of "The Ticket" their frustrations with the class, and shared a variety of other random videos and ideas (dancing bananas)

What I have gathered from all of this is an appreciation for those thoughts that force us to think differently about an issue in order to relate or respond. This may seem obvious, and when I commented that I had experienced professors that did not encourage this type of thought nanotext was surprised and commented that I ought to feel insulted. He is absolutely right, and yet as have gone past my young idealism of years past, I have experienced a narrowing pettern of thought. Without the inspiration of Ken Keasy or Italo Calvino regularly shaking up my understanding of the world I have exchanged my naivete for a certain lack of imagination.

What I want to express here is not topics of the novels we are reading, but rather the effect of the texts on how I interpret the class and my life. The way that Burroughs challenges the rules of a novel, and the effect he has on one's acceptable limitations, runs parallel to the effects of all revolutionaries and geniuses throughout history. It is the great ideas that shake the foundation of our understanding. Just looking at my position one week ago, I have reached a new understanding of this genius, and I am reminded of what made me move to WA 5 years ago, the reason I changed majors from engineering to recreation, and climb rocks with such passion. It is the potential, the questioning of accepted terms, and the challenge of convention that brings change. This is the re-creation we see as a link between texts, and throughout life. So, while I may not be drawn into a story woven from ejaculation and pubic hair, I see that that was never the intention, perhaps by cutting up my reality, and juxtaposing new words and ideas into existing constructs I will recreate a more perfect understanding of the world. It is at least worth a try...

1 comment:

  1. I really like how you "use" the text to approach issues about your own learning. I am a big fan of anyone using the text in ways other than it was intended.

    ReplyDelete