Monday, January 19, 2009

Orgasm Addicts Stacked in the Attick Like Muttering Burlap

"The Ticket That Exploded" is the second book I have read by Burroughs and I was excited to read this book after feeling confused and disturbed by "Naked Lunch". So my hope that Burroughs had something other than ejaculation, alien sex, and rectal mucus to build his fantasy. SO far it is much of the same thing. This book reflects the same twisted mind of a sex crazed heroin addict. There are times when I am really interested in the images he creates, the fantasy seems to build towards an understanding of his fantasy, but then cuts off, and moves on to another seemingly unrelated story. The green newt boy is interesting, the Garden of Delights (God), and the nano police hold my attention and seem to build, but then the text makes a turn to distract, disgust, and bore the reader. I don't consider myself a conservative person, but it is just too much.

The plurk discussion has compells me to open the book without negative expectations each time I pick it up. I want to see what others see in his writings, and understand why this was selected for our class, but again and again I become lost in the cut-ups and put off by the bizarre eroticism. I see some nuggets here and there, little pieces that make me think he is trying to make a point, but it is buried in so much filth.

I will sift through erctions and rusty swamp smells to see what else he has to say about "the Other Half" the nature of begging, and how God is found in an orgasm.

1 comment:

  1. I would argue that there is another sort of logic in place for the shifts in the text. One that has to do with the means by which this text was produced. Also this text is much more complex than Naked Lunch in that there are a series of limits which the author is using in order to break through what he sees as the trap of his own writing.

    ReplyDelete