Tuesday, March 10, 2009

It's the Small Things

So things are wrapping up, and the class is a reflection of things in life (once again)

First, I just loved that my last post went directly to a note made in Postsingular, about having these escapes in the "other" and how it serves to rejuvenate our regular routine. Of course I read that like the next day and thought, well I know I'm not the first person to think this, but considering that the blogs are assigned work it seemed especially poignant.

Now, as books come to completion, the salient theme comes to me as how influential the small is, and in fact, how it drives with incredible power. In the same respect my life is turning a significant page, and the completion of my college education seems like so many small and obscure influences, but effectively pushing me to a place I never anticipated. The people I have met, professors who have challenged me, and simple moments that led me here. The things that are remembered are not bound by time or at all broad, it is the moments. The recognition of a piece of art, a sunset over the San Juan Islands, a break outside in the midst of a dance party. These moments are what have culminated in my experience of Bellingham, and collectively bring me to a knowledge of myself as someone with new potential, abilities, and a trajectory.

We have seen that the smallest influences can lead to destruction, power, inspiration, and complacency. It is actually the only thing that ever has. (to bastardize the Margaret Mead quote)

I took an imediate interest in the texts in this class and the multimedia experience that mirrored the progressive nature of the material. When these things push our preconcieved ideas, we push back, and to draw from The Ticket That Exploded, the grey goo scenario, germaphobia, and the orphidnet, we develop our own holistic idea of the evolution of our society. The most important thing seems to not necessarily having a prediction or expectation of where we will be based on where we have been. The key is to recognize and value each little piece, and more than anything, to see it's influence beyond the scope of what we may expect. It has always been the small things that matter, and when we see those clearly we see that the future is not that complicated or so far away, it is written in every moment.

1 comment:

  1. I love the beauty of your last words here. Thank you for all your great great work

    ReplyDelete