Monday, March 16, 2009

Small Thoughts

I have been working on finals all week, and still wanted to discuss the class activity before turning in finals and calling it good.

There has been some compelling blogs in this last little bit of the quarter and yet we seem to be reaching a glass ceiling. This was evident in the last couple of classes where intead of delving into any real probing discussion, there was a sway towards the topical and, in my opinion, bland discussions. Was that as far as we were willing to go? Just to the edge of some really profound observations, and then back to another quarter of syllabus and chapter quizzes?

I won't have it, and clearly low is not interested in stopping either. So, I'm leaving (I would be leaving anyways, but) this is only the beginning. Why did I have so many silences following Tony's questions? Why was I so willing to let these texts change my opinions?

We can choose to be challenged by the world and many are going to settle for the known and tangible. I decided that this was not enough for me when I first read richard bach and paulo coelho (how ironic that tony would call his writing terrible, and flip me on my head)

The fact is that change is only happening when you are uncomfortable, and being uncomfortable allows us to make mistakes, and see new perspectives, and this is when true brilliance happens.

Stop posting summaries of the class, stop talking norbert, don't let spring break spoil the karma you have all built, this is learning, and this what education is supposed to look like. For me the question has become, how will I approch my greatest potential. I know deep down that it is not doing what feels easy, I could work seasonally for the next ten years, and be a professional climber and live the good life, or I can move to Norway, be humbled by my Norwegian peers, try to get a masters in education, start a family, and struggle every day in the old school of hard knocks.

Damn, I think you can see what I have to do...

1 comment:

  1. Well said, and yes there does seem to be a glass ceiling. I tend to think of it as a pause. The class has ended but does it have to ? Maybe not. Life is a classroom and you can blog and plurk from everywhere about everything.

    Do what you have to
    Susan

    ReplyDelete